Monday 29 March 2010

Pretty begonias, irises, freesias, chrysanthem-min-umimuns

Plunging headfirst into Melbourne’s busiest ever weekend I spent a few hours yesterday at the Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show in Carlton Gardens.

Whilst the Exhibition Buildings were lovely, I learnt my liking for growing vegetables (with deference to
Uncle Monty, I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium) was not quite enough to make garden shows interesting. Perhaps in 30 years when my fingers are too chubby to use the internet...

I did buy a bag of posh peanuts, some Russian garlic and a pair of gardening / murderer’s gloves fashioned from black rubber, but otherwise I was a bit bored. Still, I’m glad I went – firstly because I saw this damning verdict on free copies of the Herald Scum given away with the Flower and Garden Show program…



… and secondly because I got the giggles watching a beautifully dressed Japanese woman provide a gentle demonstration of ikebana to a packed conference hall and thinking how much fun it would be to go up on stage next to her with a handkerchief on my head to provide an impromptu guide to Gumby flower arranging…

No comments: