Friday 13 March 2009

Cheesy Challenge – Half Time Report

So I’m almost two weeks into my fromage-free March and here’s what I know:

  • As with all good addictions, the third day is the hardest. It’s a good job we cleared the fridge or I’d have been off the wagon
  • Pizza without cheese still works, as long as you make it yourself. Sour cream and avocado are the bomb on a pizza and so, surprisingly, is balsamic vinegar and mushrooms. La di da me…
  • There is no replacement for cheese and tomato toasties after a hang over. You just have to suffer
  • People don’t like it when you give things up – even for a short while - and will try all sorts of techniques to make you stop
  • Cafes lie about what is in their food. I’ve now bought two ostensibly cheese free salads only to find furtively placed bits of feta looking up at me from under a leaf going ‘you know you want to.’
  • Thai noodle salad is lush. It’s like tangy cold spaghetti, which is nicer than I’ve made it sound
  • I’m always hungry. Clearly cheese had permeated my system to such an extent that every nook and cranny had been filled to overflowing. These nooks now cry out into the night for their dairy cavity insulation
  • Pasta without parmesan is rubbish. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. I’d rather eat that dried parmesan sawdust that smells of sick than go without.
  • I declare April to be cheese-only month…

Must go, my belly is rumbling again…

1 comment:

kate said...

oh this is too unbearable to even read! a world without cheese?? what kind of LIFE is that?? i say stay in bed and get up in april....